The Extreme Light Infrastructure (ELI) ERIC is the leading European science facility for physical sciences based on laser sources. As an international user facility, ELI has the broadest portfolio of scientific lasers in the world, from high-intensity to ultra-short pulse high repetition rate lasers. ELI is the first ESFRI Landmark constructed in the Central Eastern European Member States. Two world-class high-power, high-repetition-rate laser facilities have been established in Dolní Břežany, Czech Republic (ELI Beamlines) and Szeged, Hungary (ELI ALPS). A third ELI-related facility is under construction in Romania (ELI-NP).
The ELI ERIC is one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world, and its pioneering capabilities and talented staff are helping to keep the European Research Area at the forefront of scientific research. The ELI Facilities are completing construction and commissioning, and now entering a critical phase of joint operations. The ongoing integration of the management and user programme will provide unprecedented access for scientists to a very broad and diverse array of instruments based on laser sources.
About the Role:
The DoS will develop and coordinate the scientific user programme with the ELI Facilities. In consultation with the funding agencies, the ELI ERIC International Scientific and Technical Advisory Committee (ISTAC), and the user community, the DoS will define the scope and aims of the programme, as well as the process for the scientific evaluation of its performance.
The DoS will be responsible for managing the integrated user programme for access operations together with the ELI laboratories, according to agreed scientific and organisational indicators. Further responsibilities and experience include:
• Develop a world leading scientific user programme.
• Lead and coordinate the scientific teams at the ELI Facilities in a unified research programme.
• Manage and develop direct reporting and other staff.
• Experience developing and managing organisational budgets.
• Lead a career development programme for the scientific staff of the company.
• Prepare quarterly operational reports and annual scientific reports.
• Lead development of ELI related projects for scientific facilities and instruments.
• Plan, develop and implement an operational strategy in support of company objectives.
• Develop and oversee the ELI ERIC scientific data management and dissemination policies.
The work includes regular travel and will take place mainly at the laboratories in Dolní Břežany and Szeged. It may also include regular international travel to conferences, and to stakeholders in member countries and potential member countries.
About the Candidate:
The successful candidate can demonstrate a proven record of scientific achievement in the physical sciences at the European and international level, along with significant senior leadership experience from within a complex scientific environment.
The successful candidate can present significant knowledge of the European Research Area, the scientific community, with the ability to represent ELI externally, to Member States, various stakeholder, industry, and other bodies.
The successful candidate has demonstrated the ability to encourage collaboration, teamwork and innovation, and the ability and scientific standing necessary to gain and retain the confidence of the ELI scientific and technical staff, across a range of subject areas and of scientific and managerial issues. Specialised knowledge in laser science is appreciated, but not a requirement.
The successful candidate will demonstrate experience:
• Developing scientific strategies for a national or international organisation.
• Leading and line managing in a major scientific organisation with the vision required to advance scientific planning and development of broad research.
• Facilitating user research and beamline development.
• Working with European and national funding agencies to prioritise research programmes
• Delivering to deadlines and within funding constraints.
The successful candidate will display exceptional communication and interpersonal skills including the confidence and ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in academia, industry and government. Experience living and working in a diverse, international context is considered essential.
The full job description is available to download HERE.
Candidates should send a letter of interest, including a concise description of experience relevant to the position, as well as their CV and at least two references to email@example.com. Position is open until filled. The selection committee will begin evaluating qualified candidates in March 2022.
Selected candidates will be invited to take part in interviews beginning of Month and end of Month.